Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Eve Blues

Has everyone recovered from New Years? Because I sure as heck haven't. Holy business did it kick my ass this year!

As I sit here at work watching the Vikings begin their game against the Lions I am thinking of all the great shows I went to at First Avenue this year. There have been so many I am just going to highlight the ones that I can remember.

First and foremost, the Black Keys. I know I sound like a broken record here, but there is a reason First Avenue tickets were going for $250 a pop for these shows. We are the only city in the country where the Black Keys played twice in a row on this tour. Writing about this gives me goosebumps - that is how awesome they were. Two guys from Akron, Ohio, a guitar, and a drumset. That's all of the components of the Black Keys. The Black Keys are one of the best live bands on the planet - their talent is not comprehensible until you see it.

Around March, my second favorite live band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club took the stage for a crowd so sold out you could not move! They played all my jams "Sympathetic Noose" "White Palms" and all of their other amazing jams. BRMC is truly a band that gives 110% of themselves while on stage. This marked the 10th time I had seen these guys and they don't stop amazing me with their live shows. Ahh, Peter Hayes, my love.


Passion Pit was a very hot First Avenue ticket this spring. I was lucky enough to buy mine early. Man that was a fun show - everyone in the crowd was so hyped about seeing these guys it was awesome.


She & Him - very disappointed. Again, First Avenue tickets were very difficult to come by for this one thanks to Zoey. It was boring and Zoey complaining about the camera flashes was out of control and annoying. I understand, it's probably pretty bright with the flashes, but hey, you're a public figure: buy sunglasses. The She & Him project does not showcase how talented M. Ward is. Yes, Zoey D has a beautiful voice. But M Ward's is better and his guitar playing is out of this world. By far the more talented of the two.

Julian Casablancas - even more disappointing than She & Him. First Avenue was only about 1/2 - 3/4 full and b.o.r.i.n.g was the show. Julian looked about 3 steps below enthused to be there and could care less about it. It's disheartening because I love those guys so much!

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes with Dawes - this was an unexpected 'blown away' moment. I had not seen Dawes before or heard very much about them. But man did they blow me away. They are a young band that has years of talent ahead of them - I cannot wait to see what Dawes releases in the future. When they were here in November they headlined the mainroom and sold it out which was not surprising at all. Edward Sharpe had sold out this show in about 1 day and I will admit I was very curious as to how they were going to handle this show. Their show at the Varsity was good, but not great. They were a young band with A LOT to learn as to how to handle that many people on the stage. They must have learned a lot because Edward Sharpe brought the house down. Man, what a great show.

Back in March there was the Big Pink show - it was ok, but I don't think I would jump through hoops to see them again. A band that was on my list of people to see, but they just were not very exciting. Like Julian, they looked bored.

The end April brought Yeasayer and super buzzed about/awesome band Sleigh Bells to the main room. Again, that show was so sold out First Avenue tickets were not easy to find. Sleigh Bells shook the structure of the building with their jams and you barely had enough time to recover before Yeasayer mesmerized you with their set. Their absolutely perfect, flawless, beautiful set. I can't wait to see these guys again.


In the heat of the summer, July brought The Faint to First Avenue. 1200 sweaty concert goers danced their faces off to "Glass Dance" "Southern Bells in London Sing" and "Desperate Guys." This show was cool to me because the Faint only announced 4 shows last summer and it was pretty cool of them to choose MPLS as one of them. But what can I say - we are awesome.

Ok, one more then I will be done, even thought this could go on forever. But it would be tragic if I didn't mention the Dead Weather show. Harlem, one of my favorite finds of 2010 opened the show. I went with some of my best friends, had a drunk ol time and Jack White and the gang rocked First Avenue so much many concert goers ears are probably still ringing. It was by far one the loudest show I have ever seen at First Avenue.

If just two of these bands grace the main room stage at some point during 2011 it would make me a happy, happy lady.

No comments: